Friday, May 8, 2009

I belong...


It was during the last  few working days of my twelth standard that I started composing effectively  with softwares and more than that, I started composing based on feelings rather than on the flow.That was also the time during which I started taking my bike out for really long rides. As far 100 kms a day, during which I took pictures that would presumably give me some inspiration for my songs. Coz I figured out that during my holidays, I would have plenty of time and resources to compose many songs. I incidentally found out that there was a mini waterfalls in Tiruchi itself! 

One good friend of mine during my school days was Sharjeel. He was this extreme Pokemon fan and had (and still has) a good command over the English language. So here was the situation, both of us had enough and more liking for good songwriting, but that spark....that sync never happened till one day.Many interesting researches and awe inspiring tunes used to flood my brain only during my french classes. We even made attempts to disprove newton's laws LOL! Hunger too was one of the reasons that I used to sing during those classes. My friends enjoyed it too, or atleast said so to stop me from singing further.Our french madame was a very great woman. I don't remember her losing her temper at all. And sadly, Sharjeel was a Hindi student. So we never got to meet at all.

I believe good things come to only those who wait . And so it happened that an elderly dude breathed his last. Sharjeel was sitting on the last row and so was I. It was around 3 P.M. I guess, and so it was kinda boring. Atleast Sharjeel was bored a lot. So he took a piece of paper (actually the question paper of morning's exam). He started scribbling some lines on it. And he thrust it into my hand. I read it...and it was infact good... the lines read:

I belong to the siren's song unheard

I belong to the broken skies above

I realize that the many joys inside come from deep inside

Of all the things that happened to me

All these years

What would I give to be myself?

I just can't believe I'm finding myself.

My earth is taken away from me

I'm leaving my footsteps to help you when you lose yourself.

I was like...'man... this is great man!! May be one day we can fix a tune and make it into a tune'.

Pictures and music are like two eyes of human feelings..atleast that's what I believe in.I like to stare at a picture for hours and hours together just tryin to find out what the image wants to tell me. At the time Sharjeel showed me the lyric, I saw a picture in my mind...it was this girl...in angel clothing...walking in a field...like the girl in Wordsworth's Solitary Reaper. That mental image drove me to sit and compose for this lyric. And...

nothing happened... LOL.. I just couldn't fit a tune for it. Later I realized how stupid that approach was. Then one fine day I was browsing the net. And lucky enough, I found this one picture that just blew me away. It was in fact better than what I had in mind. Then this first line of Sharjeel's poem hit me. 'I belong to the broken skies above' .One thing led to another and the next morning I had my tune ready. 

In the following week, I sat with Sharjeel and made him complete the lyric according to the new tune. And what do ye know! He did a tremendous job. We went in for recording, Sarah did a wonderful job of singin' it, finally after a month, the track FINDING MYSELF was ready.

1 comment: